Need input into what tools everyone is using to design and document system development.
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Scott_Powell
Posted On:   Tuesday, July 20, 2004 11:34 AM

My team will be starting soon on a major new project in a government-regulated industry. The app will almost entirely be written in Cold Fusion MX. We are looking at tools like to help manage and document the project (regulations)... * CaliberRM and RequisitePro for requirements management. * StarTeam and Perforce for Source Control. * Together, Describe and Poseidon for UML design. * Eclipse as the IDE We're wondering what other are using for major projects and if we've missed any major class of system development tool. Mercury's test stuff is on our radar screen. What do you all think about ERD   More>>

My team will be starting soon on a major new project in a government-regulated industry.

The app will almost entirely be written in Cold Fusion MX.

We are looking at tools like to help manage and document the project (regulations)...

* CaliberRM and RequisitePro for requirements management.

* StarTeam and Perforce for Source Control.

* Together, Describe and Poseidon for UML design.

* Eclipse as the IDE

We're wondering what other are using for major projects and if we've missed any major class of system development tool.

Mercury's test stuff is on our radar screen.

What do you all think about ERD software, like Embarcadero's ERStudio or ERWin?

Anything else?

Thank you

<<Less

Re: Need input into what tools everyone is using to design and document system development.

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Sunday, August 29, 2004 10:11 AM

While you talk about the tools to use for software development - I am assuming you have the Software Development process nailed down. As the process would drive the tools.

Having said that, the choices you have listed are great as I have had my teams use similar tools for SDLC.

Requirements management - Requisite Pro

Modeling - Rational Rose

Version/Source Control - Perforce/ClearCase (Perforce is a better choice, ClearCase is good for small deployments)

Test Design and Management - Mercury Test Director

Issue/Defect Management - ClearQuest

Scripting/Automation - QTP

Load Test - LoadRunner

If your development is done using ColdFusion Studio as the editor - you can integrate the Perforce with Studio. Besides the other tools have a way to integrate with each other in order to have clear traceability from requirements to code to test cases/sets to results. This will ensure your development effort delivers what the customer had originally requested.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email.

Shailesh Grover

Sr. Director, Methods and Process

GM, Enterprise Testing

AT&T Wireless

About | Sitemap | Contact