How does Lucene perform on a very long Boolean query with many conditions?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   BG_San
Posted On:   Saturday, July 17, 2004 01:26 PM

For a project of search engine for looking over inventory within local region, where each area is identified with their own zip codes. For inventory in some region, the range of area would be places in a list of tens to hundreds of zip codes within certain radius at a central point. Then the boolean query I need to contruct would include many clauses like zipcode:22450 OR zipcode:13900 OR zipcode:33311 ... While I'm aware there may be BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses exception problem, I wonder which way to construct the query(ies) would get better performance from Lucene: 1. One single long query with many boolean OR conditions 2. Broken down into shorter queries, for example 100 broken down into 5 x 20 conditions each    More>>

For a project of search engine for looking over inventory within local region, where each area is identified with their own zip codes. For inventory in some region, the range of area would be places in a list of tens to hundreds of zip codes within certain radius at a central point. Then the boolean query I need to contruct would include many clauses like zipcode:22450 OR zipcode:13900 OR zipcode:33311 ...

While I'm aware there may be BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses exception problem, I wonder which way to construct the query(ies) would get better performance from Lucene:
1. One single long query with many boolean OR conditions
2. Broken down into shorter queries, for example 100 broken down into 5 x 20 conditions each

<<Less

Re: How does Lucene perform on a very long Boolean query with many conditions?

Posted By:   Benoit_Quintin  
Posted On:   Tuesday, July 20, 2004 06:33 AM

I have a good idea, try it and tell us the results you gather...
About | Sitemap | Contact