Calling a Java Application(using its API) residing on the client system(Based on AWT) from browser
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Dileep_Mohan
Posted On:   Monday, June 7, 2004 09:37 PM

Hi,

I am facing a serious problem. I have a java application based on AWT. it is on the client machine. How can i invloke this application using javascript. While invoking the application, i need to pass parameters like user name and password to the application. Can i use java plugin 4 this to register the application as Active X??? how to do this.. And also i am using some DLL's in my application using JNI. will it affect the invocation

regards
Dileep

Re: Calling a Java Application(using its API) residing on the client system(Based on AWT) from browser

Posted By:   Jerry_Lampi  
Posted On:   Tuesday, June 8, 2004 01:45 PM

Sounds like you want to convert a Java application into a Java Applet to be run using a browser? If this is the case, you have many stumbling blocks. I think it can be done, but many things need to happen to allow it. A few thoughts only. The current application will have to be jar'd. The jar must be signed. The JNI dll's must be included in the jar. I think the policy file has to be manually manipulated to allow JNI (even for signed applets). If remote invocation is required (i.e., the client wants to run this thing via a browser from anywhere), then you must have this thing on a server. Passing the user-ID and password in as parameters is possible, but you would probably want to encrypt them in some way or all a person would haev to do is "view source" on browser and this sensative information would be in plain view. This names just a few of the things. I belive the thoughest will be the JNI, though.
About | Sitemap | Contact