dcsimg
sending sms through java api
3 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Titu_Prusty
Posted On:   Monday, May 17, 2004 05:47 AM

How can I send sms to mobile using java api. I have connected to the network through a gprs modem.

Can you help me , if any one has worked on it

Re: sending sms through java api

Posted By:   rob_mason  
Posted On:   Wednesday, May 19, 2004 11:53 AM

We use SwiftNote from www.ncl.ie to connect directly to our SMSC, however, you can also use it to connect over a modem.

Hope this helps

Posted By:   Brian_Glodde  
Posted On:   Monday, May 17, 2004 06:31 PM

There's a ton of examples of this all over the net:

IBM Developerworks

Sun's SMS Demo

Nokia SMS
JavaPro Article

Posted By:   Chris_Wilson  
Posted On:   Monday, May 17, 2004 06:47 AM

First of all I assume you are using Java2SE and not J2ME or some other form of Java.

There are a few ways to send sms to a mobile. Many SMS phones (in USA) support e-mail to SMS or have a web page that will allow you to send that SMS. But I suspect that is not the way you want to do it. Another way to do it is through the serial (blue tooth, or IR) port of your mobile phone.

You might have a look at these specs for more details: GSM 03.40 and 03.38 although there are several tools out there written to hide much of this encoding. Have a look at these commands specifically: "+cmgf" and "+cmgs".

This will get you on the path of Binary or Plain Text messaging. Beware I have had a lot of problems getting Binary SMS to travel between carriers World Wide.

One final note if you are going through the Serial port I tend to use the "GNU comm API" rather than the SUN comm API because it is better at moving between variouse OS types.

Good Luck with your task!

About | Sitemap | Contact