Session ACKNOWLEDGE mode configuration
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   stephane_GONTHIER
Posted On:   Friday, April 30, 2004 09:22 AM

Hi All, I am architecting a JMS based application that sends a large number of message over a WAN (60msg/sec). My Message Consummer subscribes remotely over the network to a Topic that is contributed locally. Connections are supported over TCP/IP for both speed and reliability. I have no particular need for persisting the sessions whatsoever. I have up to two publishers and up to two subscribers for this topic. I am wondering about the effect of DUPS_OK_ACKNOWLEDGE mode for this connection using any typical JMS implementation. Is it possible to get message duplicates under this configuration as it is mentioned into the JMS specifications ? Does it depend on the implementation of JMS ? I am wonder   More>>

Hi All,
I am architecting a JMS based application that sends a large number of message over a WAN (60msg/sec).

My Message Consummer subscribes remotely over the network to a Topic that is contributed locally. Connections are supported over TCP/IP for both speed and reliability. I have no particular need for persisting the sessions whatsoever.

I have up to two publishers and up to two subscribers for this topic.

I am wondering about the effect of DUPS_OK_ACKNOWLEDGE mode for this connection using any typical JMS implementation. Is it possible to get message duplicates under this configuration as it is mentioned into the JMS specifications ? Does it depend on the implementation of JMS ? I am wondering under which circumstances this may happen.

If no, then what advantage would I have to specify my subscription in AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE mode, because this will certainly generate network overhead and I want to minimize bandwidth usage into my system.

Thanks in advance for your answer, comment on this subject.
Stephane

<<Less

Re: Session ACKNOWLEDGE mode configuration

Posted By:   Tom_Jenkinson  
Posted On:   Thursday, July 8, 2004 08:03 AM

Hi Stephane,
DUPS_OK_ACKNOWLEDGE does, as you say, make it possible to get message duplicates. However it also, as you suggest, depends on the implementation of the JMS provider as to what actually happens.

Regarding AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE I would say that an acknowledgement message should (usually) be quite small. Regarding your concern over network bandwith, you describe an application that sends large messages and I would therefore say that maybe the overhead of a couple of bytes (the ack) would probably be tolerable and that AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE would give you an extra level of confidence for a very small overhead?

I hope this helps,
Tom Jenkinson
Arjuna Technologies Limited
About | Sitemap | Contact