Use of Two Periods in Email Address
3 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   John_Smith
Posted On:   Sunday, March 28, 2004 12:40 PM

Hi all, After wasting about 2 hours, I determined that Javamail (or perhaps my Internet service provider) was rejecting email addresses with two periods, i.e. "john.smith@anywhere.com." These are legal, at least with my internet service provider (Videotron). It also would throw an authentication failure exception (which apparently was NOT the problem). Anyone aware of this problem? Is there a workaround? PS. My code: Properties props = new Properties(); props.put("mail.host", "relais.videotron.ca"); Session mailSession = Session.getInstance(props, null); Address fromUser = new InternetAddress("aplace@videotron.com&   More>>

Hi all,

After wasting about 2 hours, I determined that Javamail (or perhaps my Internet service provider) was rejecting email addresses with two periods, i.e. "john.smith@anywhere.com." These are legal, at least with my internet service provider (Videotron). It also would throw an authentication failure exception (which apparently was NOT the problem).

Anyone aware of this problem? Is there a workaround?

PS. My code:

Properties props = new Properties();
props.put("mail.host", "relais.videotron.ca");
Session mailSession = Session.getInstance(props, null);

Address fromUser = new InternetAddress("aplace@videotron.com");
Address toUser = new InternetAddress(aEmail);
// aEmail comes from a database query.

Message body = new MimeMessage(mailSession);
body.setFrom(fromUser);
body.setRecipient(Message.RecipientType.TO, toUser);
body.setSubject("Election Alert, Hull-Aylmer");
body.setContent(HTMLtext, "text/HTML");

Transport.send(body);
out.println("

Message sent!

");
   <<Less

Re: Use of Two Periods in Email Address

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Monday, March 29, 2004 10:40 AM

Sounds to me like your authentication failure, from your mail server, is the real problem?

Posted By:   Jonathan_Downey  
Posted On:   Monday, March 29, 2004 01:47 AM

I don't think it's JavaMails fault. I use it to send to lots of email addresses, including many with "some.body@someplace.com" notation with no problems at all.

Posted By:   Jonathan_Downey  
Posted On:   Monday, March 29, 2004 01:46 AM

I don't think it's JavaMails fault. I use it to send to lots of email addresses, including many with "some.body@someplace.com" notation with no problems at all.
About | Sitemap | Contact