non-programmer and no background.
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Faustino_Evangelista
Posted On:   Monday, March 1, 2004 07:55 AM

what resources can i use to get started? to learn java in a quickest way.

Re: non-programmer and no background.

Posted By:   Stephen_McConnell  
Posted On:   Monday, March 1, 2004 08:30 AM

If you are a "non-programmer", I think one of the best ways to learn Java is to get a book called Java How to Program (Fifth edition) by Deitel and Deitel.

It is a text book to teach programming techniques and Java from the ground up. It contains great sample code... good examples... detailed instruction and pretty much covers every aspect of Java development through Swing and JSP's etc. It comes with a companion CD that has a lot of the things you need.

It builds from "structured" programming to Object Based Programming to Object Oriented Programming; and has good exercises as the end of each Chapter and an "on-going" project that demonstrates the concepts of project development from conception to deployment...

It also contains lots of "gotchas", "software engineering" and debugging lists etc etc.

Those that already know how to program probably don't like this book, because it goes over LOTS of stuff one already should know... However, for a beginner... I think it's one of the best out there... I've used it to teach programming etc...

Good luck

Stephen McConnell

About | Sitemap | Contact