Garbage collection vs. Java threads
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Spartak_Setina
Posted On:   Thursday, February 26, 2004 10:38 PM

Hi everyone! There are 5 questions I am willing to find out the answers. As they are all connected I decided to ask without separating them and, put them in 1 topic.   Can the GC ever cause pause to the execution of threads? What are our options as far as available garbage collectors?  What causes Java garbage collectors to 'thrash' and in general interrupt processing, max out memory, or max out CPU usage?  What the relation to number of objects, circular references; what are the limits, do different GCs have different limits? Are there ways to predict, avoid, or interrupt a GC thats in this thrashing state? Are there any known bugs, problems, or pitfalls to using the Jav   More>>

Hi everyone!

There are 5 questions I am willing to find out the answers.

As they are all connected I decided to ask without separating them and, put them in 1 topic.

1. Can the GC ever cause pause to the execution of threads?

2. What are our options as far as available garbage collectors? 

3. What causes Java garbage collectors to 'thrash' and in general interrupt processing, max out memory, or max out CPU usage? 

4. What the relation to number of objects, circular references; what are the limits, do different GCs have different limits? Are there ways to predict, avoid, or interrupt a GC thats in this thrashing state?

5. Are there any known bugs, problems, or pitfalls to using the Java SoftReference or HardReference in caches or similar structures; is there any corelation between them and how they relate to GCs, to threads, to web apps, or to server memory usage?

Any link to the related materials in internet will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact