dcsimg
when to use which diagram
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Java_Guy
Posted On:   Thursday, February 26, 2004 12:28 PM

Hey guys, i am starting a new project and have the requirements and use cases on papeper. I have the process flow and other things thought of, but in my mind. i want to put everything in UML. when i looked a UML there are bunch of diagram types sequence/activity/collaboration/class/use case/state/entity relationship/ejb assembler/enterprise application/business process diagrams... and now i am confused which one to use for what... i basically want to put the use cases in UML and then draw the process flow and eventually map classes and objects/ejbs and draw the web layer , various interfaces and eventually start coding. can anyone enlighten me about how to proceed.. thanks    More>>

Hey guys,

i am starting a new project and have the requirements and use cases on papeper. I have the process flow and other things thought of, but in my mind. i want to put everything in UML.

when i looked a UML there are bunch of diagram types
sequence/activity/collaboration/class/use case/state/entity relationship/ejb assembler/enterprise application/business process diagrams...

and now i am confused which one to use for what...

i basically want to put the use cases in UML and then draw the process flow and eventually map classes and objects/ejbs and draw the web layer , various interfaces and eventually start coding.

can anyone enlighten me about how to proceed..

thanks
nik

<<Less

Re: when to use which diagram

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Friday, February 27, 2004 04:28 PM

You might want to take a look at http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/iterateToAnotherArtifact.htm

Re: when to use which diagram

Posted By:   Stephen_McConnell  
Posted On:   Friday, February 27, 2004 06:30 AM

You can do what you need with UML....

Usually the total flow of developing in UML goes something like this.

You develop the use cases and create Use Case Diagrams... (it is not necessary to create Use Case Diagrams if you have a good Use Case document template, but for those that like visual documentation they are nice).

From the Use Cases, you begin to figure out what the Primary Classes are.. the Business Objects... You then can create a Class Diagram. This origionally contains the Attributes of each class.

Now you figure out how those classes interrelate.... what information needs to pass between the objects and what is their behavior. You can either use Correlation Diagrams or Sequence Diagrams (many times the UML tool will translate one to the other). I prefer to use sequence diagrams to do this. Sequence diagrams give me a little better idea of the order in which I need to access each class... In developing the sequence diagrams, I may find new attributes of each class or new behaviors.... And sometimes I find I need "helper classes" to act a a gobetween or manage something that is not a business object or collections of business objects....

You can also use Activity diagrams to look at the flow... and I've used State Diagrams to talk about things that need to operate in State Machines....

Your component diagrams help in determining the interfaces between components or layers....

I guess that's all I've used in development. You don't need to use ALL the diagrams in a project... and one person shouldn't be responsible for creating and designing using ALL the diagrams.

But this is a general idea of the flow... after you've worked out this stuff, the code almost writes itself..

Stephen McConnell

About | Sitemap | Contact