How do I integrate .swf files with Java objects/Tomcat?
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Sonia_Chopra
Posted On:   Sunday, February 1, 2004 11:49 AM

Hi

I am trying to get a .swf file to display dynamic content. More specifically, in a Tomcat environment, I want a .swf page to pass parameters to a Java servlet. The servlet will get results from a MySQL database and encapsulate each retrieved row into a Java bean class. These beans will contain .jpgs, among other things.

The end goal is to display the .jpg files into the .swf results page. Some aspects of the page (it's look and feel, for example) will remain constant but the photos will change with each query.

How can I do this? What methods exist for splicing dynamic content into a .swf page?

Re: How do I integrate .swf files with Java objects/Tomcat?

Posted By:   Murthy_Parthasarathi  
Posted On:   Friday, April 2, 2004 11:31 AM

Flash Remoting is the answer!

Macromedia provides a product called Flash remoting that needs to be installed along with your IDE. This will provide the requisite Action Script Extenssions. It also provides a gateway servlet that needs to be set up in Tomcat or any other servlet container

Using ActionScript (Native scripting language of flash) -- you can call Web Services or Servlets or POJOs (Plain old Java Objects) that reside in the tomcat JVM -- and gain back a respose...

From your description -- it looks like -- you will need to do quite a bit of ctionscripting to achieve your intent...Actionscript is quite simple though.

There is an open source alternative to Flash remoting which works in the same way -- OpenAMF in source forge

Cheers
Murthy

Re: How do I integrate .swf files with Java objects/Tomcat?

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Monday, February 2, 2004 06:29 AM

What is a ".swf" file?

About | Sitemap | Contact