Differences between Protocols and Cipher Suites in JSSE
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   hugogus_hugogus
Posted On:   Wednesday, January 28, 2004 01:02 AM

Hello everybody, There's something I don't understand in JSSE. For a specific connection, it is possible to set the enabled protocols as well as the enabled cipher suites. I don't understand the differences between both, and especially when I see that a cipher suite always starts with "SSL" or "TLS" which are protocols. These both methods (setEnabledProtocols(), and setEnabaledCiperSuites()) are called on a SSL(Server)Socket. But in order to create these sockets, you have to create a SSL(Server)SocketFactory. And in order to create these factories, you have to instanciate a SSLContext. When instanciating this SSLContext, you have to specify once again a protocol. It's a little bit unclear for me ....    More>>

Hello everybody,

There's something I don't understand in JSSE. For a specific connection, it is possible to set the enabled protocols as well as the enabled cipher suites. I don't understand the differences between both, and especially when I see that a cipher suite always starts with "SSL" or "TLS" which are protocols.

These both methods (setEnabledProtocols(), and setEnabaledCiperSuites()) are called on a SSL(Server)Socket. But in order to create these sockets, you have to create a SSL(Server)SocketFactory. And in order to create these factories, you have to instanciate a SSLContext. When instanciating this SSLContext, you have to specify once again a protocol.

It's a little bit unclear for me ....
Please, could someone help me to understand ?

Thank you,
Hugo

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact