MSAccess reserved words?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Richard_Marais
Posted On:   Tuesday, January 27, 2004 07:20 AM

I have a strange error. I have a java application, connecting to a MSAccess database. When I do a SQL statement that tries to update the following: "update consultant set name = 'checking for UPDATE' where (consultant_id = 1)" I get the following error: "[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Optional feature not implemented" But if I change the string to be updated, to say: "update consultant set name = 'checking xxx UPDATE' where (consultant_id = 1)" It updates with no problems. I presume that 'checking for UPDATE' is a reserved string. But why can't I update this string to the database? It is enclosed in quotes. Does anyone have any expla   More>>

I have a strange error. I have a java application, connecting to a MSAccess database. When I do a SQL statement that tries to update the following:
"update consultant set name = 'checking for UPDATE' where (consultant_id = 1)"
I get the following error:
"[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Optional feature not implemented"

But if I change the string to be updated, to say:
"update consultant set name = 'checking xxx UPDATE' where (consultant_id = 1)"
It updates with no problems.

I presume that 'checking for UPDATE' is a reserved string. But why can't I update this string to the database? It is enclosed in quotes.
Does anyone have any explanation/resolution for this?

I have an JDBC/ODBC bridge connection to a MSAccess 2002 database using the following driver: "Microsoft Access Driver 4.00.6019.00" set up in Windows XP's ODBC Data Source Administrator.

I Use the following DriverManager: "sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver" and ConnectionString: "jdbc dbc atasource_name" where "datasource_name" is the name of the ODBC datasource.

<<Less

Re: MSAccess reserved words?

Posted By:   Simon_Ablett  
Posted On:   Tuesday, January 27, 2004 10:07 AM

I am not familiar with Access but have you tried using double (i.e. ") rather than single (i.e. ') quotes? I have found that this can make a difference in some systems.

Regards
About | Sitemap | Contact