dcsimg
Instant retrieval of particular part of a remote file
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Wednesday, January 21, 2004 06:47 AM

i have to download particular part of a remote file for any url given. with rmi i've problems 1)delay, 2)installation of java in any machine the user specified is impossible. if i've misunderstood rmi instruct me.

Re: Instant retrieval of particular part of a remote file

Posted By:   christo_angelov  
Posted On:   Sunday, February 8, 2004 04:07 AM

When u say 'url', the url consists of different parts, one of which is the protocol. Which protocol do u intend to use? Because if it is HTTP, you CAN request a specific part since most servers support HTTP 1.1. The best place to start is to look for the RFC for HTTP (latest). While you are there, you may check FTP as well to see if there are standards that allow you to do it over FTP.

I do agree that it is unlikely to speed up the download, as the bottleneck is the Internet or the network or the server, and their throughput will not increase by making concurrent requests. It may, however, make it more reliable, as you can possibly recover from failure by re-requesting only the parts that failed. That is, if you write all this code.

I don't see what RMI has to do with all this.

Re: Instant retrieval of particular part of a remote file

Posted By:   Simon_Ablett  
Posted On:   Wednesday, January 21, 2004 07:22 AM

Posting the same question slightly re-worded still counts as multiple posting. Why not instead simply add a follow-up to one of your other four postings of this question.

Regards.
About | Sitemap | Contact