dcsimg
Different TO and RCPT fields?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   thomas_chung
Posted On:   Monday, January 19, 2004 04:00 PM

Using JavaMail, is it possible to send an email to a particular address yet have the "To" field (header) show something else? I know in SMTP (I just tried it and it works) , you can do something like this: mail from: me@someaccount.com rcpt to: you@anotheraccount.com data To: somealias@nowhere.com blah blah . And the effect will be that a mail message will be sent to "you@anotheraccount.com" but the "To" field will say that it is to "somealias@nowhere.com". I've been trying to do the same thing in JavaMail but haven't had any luck. I can set the actual   More>>

Using JavaMail, is it possible to send an email to a particular address yet have the "To" field (header) show something else?

I know in SMTP (I just tried it and it works) , you can do something like this:

mail from: me@someaccount.com

rcpt to: you@anotheraccount.com

data

To: somealias@nowhere.com

blah blah

And the effect will be that a mail message will be sent to "you@anotheraccount.com" but the "To" field will say that it is to "somealias@nowhere.com".

I've been trying to do the same thing in JavaMail but haven't had any luck. I can set the actual recipient via JavaMail using the "setRecipients" method--no problem. But when I try to change what gets displayed in the "To" header, it doesn't work.

I've tried the "addHeader" and "addHeaderLine" methods in MimeMessage. I've also tried setting the "mail.smtp.to". No luck, either way.

I have a ~feeling~ that this is just not possible with JavaMail. Can someone confirm this or show me how it's done?

<<Less

Re: Different TO and RCPT fields?

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Tuesday, January 20, 2004 06:33 AM

I think you want to use "sendMessage(Message, Address[])", right? and give the "RCPT TO" addresses in the Address array arg.

About | Sitemap | Contact