SwiftMQ memory consumption Part 2
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Kirk_Tsai
Posted On:   Wednesday, January 14, 2004 08:38 AM

In one test where I have queues Qa, Qb and Qc defined, and I have a pair of P2PSender, P2PReceiver attached to each of the 3 queues defined above. Qa was preloaded with 600K of persistent messages while Qb and Qc were empty. At this point in time, SwiftMQ was taking up 334MB memory. The P2PSender/Receiver were set to process 1 million messages each for all three queues. At one point, all 3 queues were empty because P2PReceiver pulls messages at faster rate than P2PSender writing to queue. I checked the memory consumption of SwiftMQ again and noticed it is still holding same amount of memory. The message throughput is around 1500/sec at this point. So I restarted SwiftMQ and noticed two things: first, the memory consumption   More>>

In one test where I have queues Qa, Qb and Qc defined, and I have a pair of P2PSender, P2PReceiver attached to each of the 3 queues defined above. Qa was preloaded with 600K of persistent messages while Qb and Qc were empty. At this point in time, SwiftMQ was taking up 334MB memory.
The P2PSender/Receiver were set to process 1 million messages each for all three queues.

At one point, all 3 queues were empty because P2PReceiver pulls messages at faster rate than P2PSender writing to queue. I checked the memory consumption of SwiftMQ again and noticed it is still holding same amount of memory. The message throughput is around 1500/sec at this point.

So I restarted SwiftMQ and noticed two things: first, the memory consumption had dropped significantly. Secondly, the message throughput taken after restart became higher - 2000/sec.

Any idea on the memory consumption? Is memory degradation related to large memory consumption? Thanks!

<<Less

Re: SwiftMQ memory consumption Part 2

Posted By:   Andreas_Mueller  
Posted On:   Wednesday, January 14, 2004 12:08 PM

Much memory is released when the queues are empty so I guess it will be gc'ed when needed (you could test by reloading with 600K messages). There might be a lot of free pages in the Store Swiftlet's cache. It depends on max-pages of the cache. But they are reused when new messages are stored.

The increase in throughput is certainly related to the seek time of the page.db. Make it a continuous file and test it again.
About | Sitemap | Contact