keeping track of all clients that are "registered"at the server and update them
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   bart_guru
Posted On:   Monday, December 22, 2003 04:18 AM

Hi, I'm just starting with CORBA, and I want to make a chatbox application. So multiple clients connect (by using a nameserver) with the server and they can type messages to all the other connected clients. I'm wondering right now, whats the standard way to "register" the clients at the server, in other words, what is a good way of keeping track of all the clients. This is necessary because when one client gives a message, all the other "registered" clients have to receive this message as well. Is it true that a client have to register a reference of an object (clientside) at the server, so that the server can invoke methods on this object in order to update the client (by using the registered client object)? Or is there an other wa   More>>

Hi,

I'm just starting with CORBA, and I want to make a chatbox application. So multiple clients connect (by using a nameserver) with the server and they can type messages to all the other connected clients. I'm wondering right now, whats the standard way to "register" the clients at the server, in other words, what is a good way of keeping track of all the clients. This is necessary because when one client gives a message, all the other "registered" clients have to receive this message as well. Is it true that a client have to register a reference of an object (clientside) at the server, so that the server can invoke methods on this object in order to update the client (by using the registered client object)? Or is there an other way of doing this?

regards,

Flenk

<<Less

Re: keeping track of all clients that are "registered"at the server and update them

Posted By:   Nick_Maiorano  
Posted On:   Monday, December 22, 2003 08:33 AM

Mr Guru,

Yes, having clients register themselves to the server to receive notifications is a pretty tried-and-tested way of doing things. It will work very well.

But since you asked, there are slight variations to this theme that you can apply. If, for example, you want to decouple the client from the server, that is, you don't want the client and server to know each other, you can use a broker. The server would send notifications to the broker which, in turn, would send notifications to all clients that are registered to the broker. This, in effect, is the basic principle of a message queuing system such as JMS in J2EE.

About | Sitemap | Contact