2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   John_Todd
Posted On:   Friday, September 19, 2003 08:18 AM

Hi guys, I heared a lot about Ant and I read form Apache web site that

it is a java-based build tool.

but what is Ant exactly ? and for what it used ? beacuse I read that Ant is a

very important tool that any Java Developer must use it.

Re: What is Ant ?

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 23, 2003 01:06 AM

ant can be used in many ways due to its customization possibilities. The most classical use of ant is as a build and deployment tool. The most widely used tasks in ant are

and

ant comes with built-in tasks like ftp, ssh (in ant 1.6), telnet, ... which can be used to automate deployments.

The customization possibilities make ant able to run any process which can be decomposed in targets optionally dependents on other targets and containing optionally a number of tasks (as long as the tasks can be implemented as Java classes). ant-contrib and antelope contain custom tasks which can give script like capabilities to ant.

Re: What is Ant ?

Posted By:   Amir_Pashazadeh  
Posted On:   Friday, September 19, 2003 04:15 PM

Hi

Many say that Ant is a java-based build tool, but I say it is much more than this.

You can compare it with a BATCH FILE EXECUTER (in DOS environment), a batch file executer executes batch files, and ANT executes ant task files.

You can do many tasks, run many applications in a batch file, ANT can do all of this and much more, it can make requisition graphs for tasks to be done and ..., you can even define new customized tasks, ..., and it is platform independent, it has much predefined tasks,...at last it is really ANT (Aother Nice Tool)

Amir Pashazadeh

About | Sitemap | Contact