Huge difference between maximum heap size and process size.
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Wednesday, July 9, 2003 06:16 AM

I must use a proprietary app which is responsible to run a JVM (on Solaris 8). According to doc, the maximum JVM heap size should be of 16 Mb. However, top is reporting that the total process size is 100 Mb and that RSS is 20 MB. What could explain such a big difference ? How is defined the repartition between size and RSS ? Is there a way to track how these 100 Mb are actually used ? Besides, if I am modifying manually the maximum heap size (via a proprietary GUI), the process size remains the same (100 Mb). If we consider the GUI is not bugged (i.e. the new max heap size is actually taken into account), shoudn't I have a different process size ?    More>>

I must use a proprietary app which is responsible to run a JVM (on Solaris 8). According to doc, the maximum JVM heap size should be of 16 Mb.

However, top is reporting that the total process size is 100 Mb and that RSS is 20 MB.

What could explain such a big difference ?

How is defined the repartition between size and RSS ?

Is there a way to track how these 100 Mb are actually used ?

Besides, if I am modifying manually the maximum heap size (via a proprietary GUI), the process size remains the same (100 Mb).

If we consider the GUI is not bugged (i.e. the new max heap size is actually taken into account), shoudn't I have a different process size ?

Thanks a lot for your answers !

<<Less

Re: Huge difference between maximum heap size and process size.

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Wednesday, July 9, 2003 07:17 AM

I thought (?) that "RSS" was "Resident Stack Size", meaning only the current portion of actual physical memory, not including any swapped/paged out VM? (sort of like, but not identical to, what used to sometimes be calculated and called "working set", when you got charged for how much you had used in your timesharing session?)

About | Sitemap | Contact