Dynamic Image Manipulation in Java ?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   steph_rich
Posted On:   Friday, June 20, 2003 11:48 PM

Could anyone tell me the best API or package out there ( preferrably open source ) to use for very simple image manipulation ( I want to write a server side component that can dynamically change the colrs in a 2 color GIF image ).
Any ideas - I've looked at JAI and Java 2D a bit, but they don't seem to quite to that. Ideas, Recommendations ?

Thanks

Steph

Re: Dynamic Image Manipulation in Java ?

Posted By:   Zac_Jacobson  
Posted On:   Monday, June 23, 2003 09:55 AM

Until last week, the writing of GIF images was covered by a patent in the States, and they still are for another year in some European contries. Because of this, you couldn't (rather, weren't supposed to be able to) get free software that writes GIF images. I would expect that future releases of Java will include libraries to write GIF images, maybe there's some 3rd party stuff out there that already does, but you probably would still have to pay for it.

For the actual manipulation of your images, you can use classes in java.awt and java.awt.image for some fairly sophisticated stuff. And, you can already read GIF images with the standard Java runtime libraries.

About | Sitemap | Contact