dcsimg
Selecting SMTP send folder
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Maciej_MIklas
Posted On:   Wednesday, May 7, 2003 02:31 AM

Hi

I would like to send email to another folder than "inbox", i.e. "xxx"(SMTP is using as a default "inbox").

Is is possible to use for that SMTP server ?

Maybe I can use IMAP (theoreticly is only for reading.)

My client has IMAP server so he knows that he must search for incomming mails in "xxx" folder.

Regards,

Maciek

Re: Selecting SMTP send folder

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Wednesday, May 7, 2003 07:06 AM

SMTP only lets you send to a destination address at a remote host. It is up the remote host, what it does with that, where it delivers it, etc. Depending on the remote host, there may be a system there, which a mailbox user can configure, for filing incoming messages into different folders, etc. This can look for certain things in the incoming message, and file according to what it finds, like a specific header value or sender name etc.

For example on Unix-like systems there is "procmail", which, if available, ordinary users can run out of their ".forward". On Microsoft Exchange systems there is the rules wizard, or whatever it's called.

In old Sendmail there was a way you could email to an address, which was actually an alias for appending to a file in the filesystem. I presume/hope that has been disabled on any host receiving Internet email nowadays!

Also sometimes there is a convention of sending to "username+foo@remotehost", where the delivery system at remotehost will deliver to username, but also pass along the "foo" argument, in case username foo has a .forward which runs a Procmail script, which then files to different folders according to the value of "foo".

About | Sitemap | Contact