Re: Parallel load into db table
Thursday, May 1, 2003 10:22 AM
There's no simple solution to your question but in reality multi-threading the process is probably unlikely to provide much of a gain for you as any resource contention issues are likely to lie at the database end. Here are a couple of things to consider:
1. Are the rows in the file all being pumped into the same table in the database?
2. Are there any relational database integrity checks in place that might be affected (i.e. primary and foreign key constraints etc)?
3. Are other applications likely to be trying to access the tables at the same time as your loader?
4. Are you using page, table or row locking on the affected tables?
5. What happens if an error occurs half way through? Do all previous transactions need to be rewound and the process restarted?
6. How big are your log / rollback segments?
...and so on. If you have a DBA I suggest that you might be best getting them involved.