dcsimg
Session Tracking Mechanisms
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   HELIGON_Sandra
Posted On:   Tuesday, April 8, 2003 06:31 AM

I have a web application with the following architecture - a web server (Tomcat4.0.1) - a Struts web application (under CATALINA_HOME/webapps/MyApp) I seek with better understanding as functions HttpSession mechanism. My application is responsible for the creation of HttpSession but on the other hand it is Tomcat which is responsible for the maintain of these sessions, is it true ? The two most used mechanisms are: cookies or URL rewriting. In which file must one configure the mechanism to be used ? does that depend only on the configuration of the browser (Internet explorer) and Tomcat adapts automatically? For the cookies several implementations are available: Cookies can be wr   More>>

I have a web application with the following architecture
- a web server (Tomcat4.0.1)
- a Struts web application (under CATALINA_HOME/webapps/MyApp)

I seek with better understanding as functions HttpSession mechanism.
My application is responsible for the creation of HttpSession but on the other hand it is Tomcat which is responsible for the maintain of these sessions, is it true ?

The two most used mechanisms are:
cookies or URL rewriting.
In which file must one configure the mechanism to be used ? does that depend only on the configuration of the browser (Internet explorer) and Tomcat adapts automatically?

For the cookies several implementations are available:
Cookies can be written to a file or they can be specified as residing in browsers memory only. Is it true ?
where the choice of the mode of safeguard it is made ?
where can I find more information about this subject ?

For my application I enable cookies on the browser but
I have no cookies file associated to my application.
Is it possible ?

<<Less

Re: Session Tracking Mechanisms

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Tuesday, April 8, 2003 06:56 AM

For more info, look up HttpSession in any book or online reference, on J2EE, and/or Servlets/JSP's.

The cookies used by Tomcat, to maintain client references to its HttpSessions, are non-persistent, meaning they are just kept in memory by the client browser, and are never written out to a file on the client. When all instances of that particular browser process are closed (e.g. with Microsoft IE, unlike most other browsers, you can either open multiple windows from the same process, sharing the set of non-persistent cookies, or you can open new windows in entirely new processes, each with their own set of non-persistent cookies), poof the cookie is gone.

About | Sitemap | Contact