dcsimg
'Unable to compile class for JSP' error on a fresh install of tomcat 4.1.24
5 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Andre_Carrier
Posted On:   Saturday, March 29, 2003 08:19 AM

Hi, I did a fresh install of tomcat on a win2000 server. I installed the latests JDK (1.4.1) first. I installed tomcat after. Whenever I access the default index.jsp page I get this error. The JSPs of the application that I am building give the same error. Whith a previous build of tomcat 4.1.x (I dont remember which exactly) I have no problems with exactly the same application. Can anyone suggest how to fix this? Must I use a previous version of tomcat? Is this a known issue? Here is the detailed error message: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null Generated servlet error   More>>

Hi,

I did a fresh install of tomcat on a win2000 server. I installed the latests JDK (1.4.1) first. I installed tomcat after. Whenever I access the default index.jsp page I get this error. The JSPs of the application that I am building give the same error. Whith a previous build of tomcat 4.1.x (I dont remember which exactly) I have no problems with exactly the same application.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this?
Must I use a previous version of tomcat?
Is this a known issue?

Here is the detailed error message:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP

An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null

Generated servlet error:
[javac] Since fork is true, ignoring compiler setting.
[javac] Compiling 1 source file
[javac] Since fork is true, ignoring compiler setting.

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:130)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:293)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:353)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:370)
at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:473)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:190)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:295)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:256)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:480)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2415)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:171)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:172)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:594)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:392)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:565)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:619)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
   <<Less

Re: 'Unable to compile class for JSP' error on a fresh install of tomcat 4.1.24

Posted By:   Carlton_Breezy  
Posted On:   Wednesday, May 28, 2003 08:37 AM

I had a similar issue and for some reason if the CATALINA_HOME env variable has spaces in it with Tomcat version 4.1.24 it will fail to compile the jsps. If you try renaming the tomcat directory so there are no spaces or use '~' symbol to specify path then you should get around this issue.

e.g CATALINA_HOME=C: omcat or C:progra~1 omcat but not C:Program FilesTomcat 4.1 (spaces).

Hope this helps...

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Saturday, April 12, 2003 09:45 PM

I have run under this problems and solved it with re-setup of the registration of tomcat, i found this on another mailing list:

My tomcat is in d:Tomcat41

my jdk 1.4 is D:j2sdk1.4.0

first uninsatll tomcat as a service

d:Tomcat41in omcat -uninstall "Apache Tomcat 4.1"

install tomcat (will now be name Tomcat (don't know if the space cause a problem)

"d:Tomcat41in omcat.exe" -install Tomcat "D:j2sdk1.4.0jreinclientjvm.dll" -Djava.class.path="d:Tomcat41inootstrap.jar;D:j2sdk1.4.0lib ools.jar" -Dcatalina.home=d:Tomcat41 -Xrs -start org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params start -stop org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params stop -out d:Tomcat41logsstderr.log

this work, i look at the regitry key and they are different at least the org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap was previously org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService, there was an entry for stdout now not in the registry, i think this command is not completely correct, but work, since it's a personal web server for me, not a business

JLD

Posted By:   Alberto_Poza  
Posted On:   Friday, April 4, 2003 12:09 AM

Hi,

try this:

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg91222.html

Alberto Poza.

Posted By:   Stephen_Callaghan  
Posted On:   Thursday, April 3, 2003 01:56 AM

Got similar problem when running using Eclipse and the plugin.
Tomcat runs fine outwith Eclipse so i am thinking that it must be something to do with classpaths etc. Anyone found an answer?

Posted By:   pratak_rattanawila  
Posted On:   Wednesday, April 2, 2003 01:15 AM

I think because tomcat can not write compiled file to work directory. try to check work directory permission.
About | Sitemap | Contact