Forcing applet to use specific JVM
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   John_Corro
Posted On:   Thursday, February 27, 2003 08:52 AM

I'm in a position where I'm trying to force a user to run our applet in a specific JVM (in this case 1.3.1). I'm at the point where I can force the JVM download if they have the 1.4 JRE, but not the 1.3.1 JRE. However, I seem to be running into a problem w/ Netscape. The problem is as follows: 1. Start out w/o any JREs installed 2. Go to our webpage. The webpage detects that the appropriate JRE isn't installed and it forces user to install 1.3.1 JRE. 3. Install JRE 1.3.1 and try running applet. Applet runs fine under both Netscape and IE. 4. Now I'll manually install JRE 1.4. 5. The applet runs fine under IE (it runs correctly in the 1.3.1 JRE), but under Netsca   More>>

I'm in a position where I'm trying to force a user to run our applet in a specific JVM (in this case 1.3.1). I'm at the point where I can force the JVM download if they have the 1.4 JRE, but not the 1.3.1 JRE. However, I seem to be running into a problem w/ Netscape. The problem is as follows:

1. Start out w/o any JREs installed

2. Go to our webpage. The webpage detects that the appropriate JRE isn't installed and it forces user to install 1.3.1 JRE.

3. Install JRE 1.3.1 and try running applet. Applet runs fine under both Netscape and IE.

4. Now I'll manually install JRE 1.4.

5. The applet runs fine under IE (it runs correctly in the 1.3.1 JRE), but under Netscape it prompts the user to install the 1.3.1 JRE.

Please note we're testing this on IE v6 and NS v7.02. Following is the HTML we're using to run the applets. Any help would be appreciated.

<<Less

Re: Forcing applet to use specific JVM

Posted By:   Andy_Sun  
Posted On:   Friday, March 14, 2003 06:52 AM

I wonder if your problem is solved. I would appreciate some help from you on the IE part.

I have the same problem, but just in IE. I can force the application to download and install Jre1.3.1. But as long as Jre1.4 is there, Jre1.4 is always activated (shows in the Java console). The code doesn't seem to force the use of Jre1.3.1 even though it's installed. Did you have to try something special to force the use of it? Thanks.

I just don't know why the Java team don't get the message that they are creating a mess for enterprise developers due to the plugin incompatibility and co-existance of multiple plugins.
About | Sitemap | Contact