dcsimg
Mass email architecture sanity check
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   neal_ravindran
Posted On:   Saturday, February 22, 2003 08:32 PM

I need to send mass emails to users of a web app after checking things in the DB(as to whether they meet the criteria to recieve the email). The data to be emailed is the same for all users and is stored in the DB I intend to do the following:- The scheduler(crontab to be precise) wakes up a Servlet at 3 am in the morning. The Servlet does the checks against the DB to find the users that satisfy the criteria to recieve emails and makes a Vector of DTOs(data transfer objs..encapsulating name, email address and other pertinent info about an user). The servlet writes this DTO vector to session and forwards the request to an email servlet. The email servlet grabs the DTO vector in session and loops over the DTO vector and emails the users    More>>

I need to send mass emails to users of a web app after checking things in the DB(as to whether they meet the criteria to recieve the email). The data to be emailed is the same for all users and is stored in the DB

I intend to do the following:-

The scheduler(crontab to be precise) wakes up a Servlet at 3 am in the morning. The Servlet does the checks against the DB to find the users that satisfy the criteria to recieve emails and makes a Vector of DTOs(data transfer objs..encapsulating name, email address and other pertinent info about an user). The servlet writes this DTO vector to session and forwards the request to an email servlet. The email servlet grabs the DTO vector in session and loops over the DTO vector and emails the users

Is this a good architecture for the mass emailing?
I searched and did not find any pertinent articles on the subject. If you have had any experience doing this kind of application, please share. (I used a servlet instead of a java application to get at the DTO Vector stored in session)

<<Less

Re: Mass email architecture sanity check

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Monday, February 24, 2003 06:43 AM

How are you handling bounces, failed retries up to several days later, unsubscribe requests, spam complaints (documenting exactly when, how, by whom, an address was added to your database), updating changed addresses, etc.

About | Sitemap | Contact