Forcing JRE or VM on browser start
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Mike_George
Posted On:   Tuesday, February 18, 2003 03:38 PM

OK, this is coming from a product manager type, so go easy. Like most developers we are struggling with installs of a web app that uses MS VM and we do not support JRE. We will, at some point make the committment to either move to .NET or support JRE, but in the mean time we have several customers who run Sun's version for some applications and are not thrilled at the prospect of end-users having to reconfigure, then restart their browswer to use our application. Is there any way to instantiate a java engine on start-up of the browswer (IE) from the server side (even if its through some desktop component)? I'm assuming that once a single instance of the browser has been opened, all other subsequent opened windows would open with the same settings,    More>>

OK, this is coming from a product manager type, so go easy. Like most developers we are struggling with installs of a web app that uses MS VM and we do not support JRE. We will, at some point make the committment to either move to .NET or support JRE, but in the mean time we have several customers who run Sun's version for some applications and are not thrilled at the prospect of end-users having to reconfigure, then restart their browswer to use our application.

Is there any way to instantiate a java engine on start-up of the browswer (IE) from the server side (even if its through some desktop component)? I'm assuming that once a single instance of the browser has been opened, all other subsequent opened windows would open with the same settings, making any attempt to simply open another window, with some embedded URL settings usesless. Again, please accept my apology for being lame - I think me being in Marketing speaks to that pretty completely.

Any help would be appreciated.

<<Less

Re: Forcing JRE or VM on browser start

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Wednesday, February 19, 2003 06:29 AM

Put an applet on the home page of your users?

About | Sitemap | Contact