What is Eclipse and how does it stack up to JBuilder?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Rod_Macpherson
Posted On:   Sunday, February 2, 2003 02:15 PM

What is Eclipse? "Eclipse is an open source, Java-based, extensible development platform. By itself, it is simply a framework and a set of services for building a development environment from plug-in components. Fortunately, Eclipse comes with a standard set of plug-ins, including the Java Development Tools, or JDT for short. " (from IBM website) Click for Eclipse Download Page How does it stack up to JBuilder? The standard plug-ins put Eclipse on par with JBuilder Enterprise. Over 200 plug-ins (remember that plug-ins are given first class treatement in Eclipse, it's the most important aspect of the tool) put it over the top in my opinion. I remember over a year ago aski   More>>

What is Eclipse?

"Eclipse is an open source, Java-based, extensible development platform. By itself, it is simply a framework and a set of services for building a development environment from plug-in components. Fortunately, Eclipse comes with a standard set of plug-ins, including the Java Development Tools, or JDT for short. " (from IBM website)

Click for Eclipse Download Page

How does it stack up to JBuilder?

The standard plug-ins put Eclipse on par with JBuilder Enterprise. Over 200 plug-ins (remember that plug-ins are given first class treatement in Eclipse, it's the most important aspect of the tool) put it over the top in my opinion. I remember over a year ago asking why there wasn't any direct tag library support in JBuilder Enterprise and the response was "tag what?" That was not an isolated incident but one of many. If you want leadership and tools that do not lag years behind then in my opinion Eclipse is the way to go. I could not have made that statement two years or even one year ago. That has changed.

Click for Eclipse Workbench Page

<<Less

Re: What is Eclipse and how does it stack up to JBuilder?

Posted By:   Brackish_Water  
Posted On:   Thursday, February 6, 2003 07:39 AM

"The standard plug-ins put Eclipse on par with JBuilder Enterprise"

> Eclipse is nowhere near JBuilder's maturity, rich feature set, etc. Eclipse is open source, and is a framework. JBuilder is a feature-rich commercial product. Apples and oranges.
About | Sitemap | Contact