dcsimg
Deciding whats a use case and what not, separating one from another
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   tech_tech
Posted On:   Thursday, January 30, 2003 04:49 PM

Hi All, I m new to using UML for my applications. I have this stupid confusion about defining use case. I do understand what use cases are, but my problem is how do i separate one from another and what can be clubed in one as a use case. Is there any document, url i can find some help about. For example , consider a simple use case for " User Login" User enters login and password and gets thro is one use case. But then forgot password or wrong login/password , or user clicking on sign me up situations are also use cases or they are just normal path and exceptional path cases. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks - Sagar    More>>

Hi All,

I m new to using UML for my applications. I have this stupid confusion about defining use case. I do understand what use cases are, but my problem is how do i separate one from another and what can be clubed in one as a use case. Is there any document, url i can find some help about.

For example , consider a simple use case for " User Login"

User enters login and password and gets thro is one use case. But then forgot password or wrong login/password , or user clicking on sign me up situations are also use cases or they are just normal path and exceptional path cases.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

- Sagar

<<Less

Re: Deciding whats a use case and what not, separating one from another

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Friday, January 31, 2003 06:35 AM

There are features that many people apparently don't know about, in use cases, like "includes" and "extends" relationships, also branch points. With these you can build up a more powerful hierarchy, of related use cases (with includes and extends), and cover alternative possibilities (with branch points). Look them up, in any good UML reference.

Re: Deciding whats a use case and what not, separating one from another

Posted By:   rajeev_kumar  
Posted On:   Friday, January 31, 2003 01:50 AM

Use Case are the processes in ur system and Actor are the ppl/system that act on those, in ur case USER can be Actor and USECASE can be Login and outgoing arrow from Login Use Case shows success or shows the Use Case after successfull Login and in case of Failed Login just put the Loop around the Login Use Case indicating that User should enter username and password again, hope this helps
About | Sitemap | Contact