how to make tomcat 4.0.6 to listen on port 80
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Mahesh_Kota
Posted On:   Monday, January 27, 2003 12:07 AM

i've installed tomcat 4.0.6 on my Linux system.It's not listening on port 80, though it's working fine on 8080.i've replaced 8080 with 80 in server.xml file. even then it's not working.
hope to hear from you soon.

Re: how to make tomcat 4.0.6 to listen on port 80

Posted By:   michael_dean  
Posted On:   Thursday, February 13, 2003 08:14 AM

Sounds like the old "must-be-superuser-to-bind-to-a-port-under-1024" problem. :)

Check the log file catalina.out for an error such as:

Feb 13, 2003 10:57:06 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint
java.net.BindException: Permission denied:80
... (many lines of stack trace) ...
Catalina.start: LifecycleException:
Protocol handler initialization failed:
java.net.BindException: Permission denied:80
... (many lines of stack trace) ...
Catalina.stop: LifecycleException: This server has not yet been started
LifecycleException: This server has not yet been started

Only the superuser (root) has permission to bind to a port with a number less than 1024. Therefore, starting Tomcat as root will work, but, to the best of my knowledge, it is impossible to start Tomcat as root (allowing it to bind to port 80) and subsequently "drop privileges." That means that your web server will run as root, which can open up a slew of security problems.

If you want a webserver on port 80 and the ability to run servlets/JSP, I highly recommend running Apache HTTPD on port 80 (it does allow you to drop privileges) and have it connect to a Tomcat instance listening on some other port (i.e. 8080) for servlets/JSP.

Re: how to make tomcat 4.0.6 to listen on port 80

Posted By:   AlessandroA_Garbagnati  
Posted On:   Monday, January 27, 2003 03:29 AM

Hi,

That seems weird. The place where the listening port is defined is inside the server.xml. If you have changed the port number there, then or you haven't restarted Tomcat or the change has been done not correctly, or maybe there is other process on the same port. Are you noticing any error when starting Tomcat?
About | Sitemap | Contact