dcsimg
SMTP Timeouts
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Serge_Sozonoff
Posted On:   Friday, January 10, 2003 01:55 PM

Hi all, I have recently been playing around with JavaMail and noticed that it is very quick to throw a MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: xxxxxxxxx when it does not receive a 220 response from the remote SMTP host right away. I think that very often this has to do with a missing reverse DNS entry or possibly a blackhole created from blacklist systems and even a busy SMTP server, but I have observed that often the 220 response can come after 5-15 seconds or more of waiting. I was wondering if there is a way to increase the time that the JavaMail SMTP protocol handler waits for this 220 reponse before it throws the MessagingException? Setting the various properties like    More>>

Hi all,

I have recently been playing around with JavaMail and noticed that it is very quick to throw a MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: xxxxxxxxx when it does not receive a 220 response from the remote SMTP host right away.

I think that very often this has to do with a missing reverse DNS entry or possibly a blackhole created from blacklist systems and even a busy SMTP server, but I have observed that often the 220 response can come after 5-15 seconds or more of waiting.

I was wondering if there is a way to increase the time that the JavaMail SMTP protocol handler waits for this 220 reponse before it throws the MessagingException?

Setting the various properties like

mail.smtp.connectiontimeout

mail.smtp.timeout

does not seem to make a difference.

Thanks, Serge

P.S. I have been using JavaMail 1.3

<<Less

Re: SMTP Timeouts

Posted By:   parag_dharmadhikari  
Posted On:   Wednesday, March 5, 2003 06:56 AM

Hi Serge

I am also facing same problem