SocketException With Resin
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Mark_Gowdy
Posted On:   Thursday, January 2, 2003 09:12 PM

Hi I have created an app, using Struts, MySQL, DbConnectionBroker on Resin. For paging, I am using the PagerTagLibrary from jsptags.com. Whilst testing it, I occasionally discover that the appserver hangs, and I cannot access any pages at all on my site. Speaking to my hosting company they tell me that the error in the log is a SocketException - I do not yet have the full info. They need to restart the server for things to go back to normal. I am sure I am returning all connections back to the pool, and closing all ResultSets and Statements. Does anyone have any idea of what may be causing this problem? Thanks Mark    More>>

Hi

I have created an app, using Struts, MySQL, DbConnectionBroker on Resin. For paging, I am using the PagerTagLibrary from jsptags.com. Whilst testing it, I occasionally discover that the appserver hangs, and I cannot access any pages at all on my site. Speaking to my hosting company they tell me that the error in the log is a SocketException - I do not yet have the full info. They need to restart the server for things to go back to normal. I am sure I am returning all connections back to the pool, and closing all ResultSets and Statements. Does anyone have any idea of what may be causing this problem?

Thanks

Mark

<<Less

Re: SocketException With Resin

Posted By:   Sam_Sorrell  
Posted On:   Monday, January 6, 2003 06:53 AM

I suspect that the SocketException you're seeing indicates nothing more than an impatient user. Here's the scenerio:
1) A user requests a page from your server.
2) Your server tries to satisfy the request.
3) While your server is doing its business, the user decides (s)he has spent enough time waiting and closes the browser or moves on to another URL.
4) Your application gets done and attempts to write its response back to the socket connection formed when the user made its original request.
5) Since that connection is now closed (as a result of the users actions in step 3), a SocketException is thrown.

In short, the exception you're seeing is likely just a sympathetic problem and not the real trouble.
About | Sitemap | Contact