dcsimg
Why doesn't this work?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Tim_Pope
Posted On:   Tuesday, December 31, 2002 04:19 PM

The attached code generates a multipart message that matches one sent from Outlook. When received, however, nothing is displayed in the message body, though the message source is complete and can be read. I am deliberately not using JavaMail. The class MIMEbase64 encodes the message text to base64 and sends the text, but it is not getting converted back on arrival. Presumably Outlook recognizes that this is a multipart message, because it refrains from displaying the various "Content-Type:" etc. headers. But it is not picking out the actual message text and displaying it. pw is a PrintWriter connected to port 25 of the server. I urgently need this to work. Does anyone have a piece of code that works if you can't see anything wrong with the fo   More>>

The attached code generates a multipart message that matches one sent from Outlook. When received, however, nothing is displayed in the message body, though the message source is complete and can be read. I am deliberately not using JavaMail. The class MIMEbase64 encodes the message text to base64 and sends the text, but it is not getting converted back on arrival. Presumably Outlook recognizes that this is a multipart message, because it refrains from displaying the various "Content-Type:" etc. headers. But it is not picking out the actual message text and displaying it. pw is a PrintWriter connected to port 25 of the server.

I urgently need this to work. Does anyone have a piece of code that works if you can't see anything wrong with the following?
Many thanks.

pw.print("MIME-Version: 1.0"+"
");
pw.print("Subject: Testout
");
pw.print("From: Me
");
pw.print("Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="" + boundary + ""
");
pw.print("X-Priority: 3
");
pw.print("X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
");
pw.print("X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4807.1700
");
pw.print("X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4807.1700
");
pw.print("This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
");
pw.print("
--" + boundary +"
");
pw.print("Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
");
pw.print("Content-Disposition: inline
");
pw.print("Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
");
StringBuffer SB = new StringBuffer("text");
MIMEBase64.encode(pw,SB,4);
pw.print("

--" + boundary+"
");
pw.print("Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
");
pw.print("Content-Disposition: inline;
");
pw.print("Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
");
new StringBuffer("file");
MIMEBase64.encode(pw,SB,4);
pw.print("

--" + boundary + "--

");
pw.print(".
");
pw.flush();
dis.readLine();
pw.print("QUIT");
pw.flush();
   <<Less

Re: Why doesn't this work?

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Thursday, January 2, 2003 10:43 AM

Approach the problem step by step.

Try something encoded as quoted-printable instead of base64, and see if Outlook displays that. Is it properly decoding it, or do you see the quoted stuff coming through? (funny escape sequences starting with '%' for linefeeds etc., make sure you include a few chars that need encoding, to make sure they are decoded)

Try something else in base64 besides your original content, and see if that works.

Etc.

About | Sitemap | Contact