Mails sent with UUEncoding
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Rohan_Desai
Posted On:   Monday, December 16, 2002 11:07 PM

My application receives mail in a UUENcoded form. The mail contains an attachment which is an Excel file containing some macros. My program reads the mail and saves the attachment in the server. It has been observed that sometimes the saved file gets corrupted and when i try to open the saved file i cannot open it. This doesnt happen always but only on few occasions and the reason is not very clear. Also , when i send a MIME Encoded mail to an application, it doesnt have any problem. Can any body please comment on this ? One more question . Though the excel file is attached in the mail, the c   More>>

My application receives mail in a UUENcoded form.

The mail contains an attachment which is an Excel file containing some macros.

My program reads the mail and saves the attachment in the server.

It has been observed that sometimes the saved file gets corrupted and when i try to open the saved file i cannot open it.

This doesnt happen always but only on few occasions and the reason is not very clear.

Also ,

when i send a MIME Encoded mail to an application, it doesnt have any problem.

Can any body please comment on this ?

One more question .

Though the excel file is attached in the mail,
the content-type is returned as 'PLAIN/TEXT ' instead of Multipart.

can anybody please help ?

Thanks a lot

Rohan

<<Less

uuencode is not an "attachment" Re: Mails sent with UUEncoding

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Tuesday, December 17, 2002 11:13 AM

Though the excel file is attached in the mail, the content-type is returned as 'PLAIN/TEXT ' instead of Multipart.

That is because a message like you are getting, with uuencoded content simply pasted in the main message body, is not a "multipart" message (has no MIME structure) and hence does not contain "attachments" (multiple body parts), from the MIME point of view.

Re: Mails sent with UUEncoding

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Tuesday, December 17, 2002 07:42 AM

uuencode/uudecode is not reliable (several characters vary in different implementations, and it is easy to damage, or incorrectly calculate/incompletely insert, the encoding). That's why MIME's base64 was invented.

About | Sitemap | Contact