Mac OS 8,9,X Virtual Machine Version?
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Alcene_Ester
Posted On:   Sunday, December 8, 2002 03:38 PM

Hi,
I'm developing applets and they need to be cross compatible between PC and Mac. I develop on PC and have the 1.4.1 VM installed but my Mac can't load the applets; the Netscape browser throws: "ClassFormatError: Bad major version number"
So I figured the virtual machine on the mac was older than 1.4 and tryed compiling with "javac -target 1.1" to get a 1.1 version of the code, yet the code still doesn't run on the mac..

Any idea on what version is running on mac and what the solution might be?

Many thanks.

Re: Mac OS 8,9,X Virtual Machine Version?

Posted By:   Per_Velschow  
Posted On:   Tuesday, December 10, 2002 04:01 PM

MacOS versions 8 and 9 only support Java version 1.1.8. Apple has clearly stated that Java 2 will not be supported on these MacOS versions.

MacOS X supports Java version 1.3.1. Apple has for a long time now been working on Java version 1.4.1 which will only be supported from MacOS version 10.2. You can download developer previews of version 1.4.1 but they don't work very well yet.

Compiling your source with -target 1.1 does not make your Java program 1.1 compatible in itself. It also requires that you do not use any of the core Java APIs after version 1.1.

I suppose your best bet is to compile against the Java 1.1 run-time libraries OR give up entirely on MacOS versions prior to MacOS X and start taking full advantage of Java 2.

Re: Mac OS 8,9,X Virtual Machine Version?

Posted By:   eimi_nos  
Posted On:   Monday, December 9, 2002 04:18 AM

On Mac OS X versions are;
java.version 1.3.1

java.vm.version 1.3.1_03-69.

"In Mac OS X, Java is not an add-on feature, but an integral part of the operating system."

I suppose it takes some time for Mac OS X to change to 1.4.1, but that it will take place soon.
About | Sitemap | Contact