Help needed - RMI in peer-to-peer IM applications
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Uri_Goldstein
Posted On:   Wednesday, December 4, 2002 12:16 PM

Hello, My name is Uri Goldstein. I would like to implement a peer-to-peer Instant Messenger and I was advised to use RMI as an elegant way for the peers to talk to each other. Example: Peer A wants to send Peer B a message - he remotely invokes Peer B's writeMessageToScreen() method. RMI seems very elegant, but I need to know what it's weak sides are because surely there must be some of these. First of all, why is RMI categorized under Server Technologies in JGuru? Is it not suitable for the peer-to-peer approach suggested above? Does RMI bring with it a large overhead of data transfered on the net when invoking simple operation like sending a String message over from one peer to the other? Any ot   More>>

Hello, My name is Uri Goldstein.

I would like to implement a peer-to-peer Instant Messenger and I was advised to use RMI as an elegant way for the peers to talk to each other.

Example: Peer A wants to send Peer B a message - he remotely invokes Peer B's writeMessageToScreen() method.

RMI seems very elegant, but I need to know what it's weak sides are because surely there must be some of these.

First of all, why is RMI categorized under Server Technologies in JGuru? Is it not suitable for the peer-to-peer approach suggested above?

Does RMI bring with it a large overhead of data transfered on the net when invoking simple operation like sending a String message over from one peer to the other?

Any other drawbacks to using RMI for this implementation?

And finally - Would it be correct to say that using RMI for two identical, though remote, Objects (Say Applets) to talk to each other is an elegant way of peer-to-peer communication and that it effectively saves me the need to devise a high-level communication protocol for this purpose?

Much thanks in advance for any insight into this.

Regards,

Uri Goldstein.

urigolds@post.tau.ac.il

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact