Is this normal to see? Is there a way to turn this off??
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Anonymous
Posted On:   Sunday, December 1, 2002 06:48 AM

I'm new here... tried posting this question this morning but must not have done it right because I can't see my question on the forum, so I'm trying again. Please excuse me if I posted this twice. I see several thousand lines of this when I start Tomcat on Windows 2000 Pro. Is this normal to see? Is there a way to tone it down a little?? 45866 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.di gester.Digester.sax - startElement(,,extension) 45866 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - Pushing body text '' 45866 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - New match='web-app/mime-mapping/extension' 45866 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - Fire begin() for CallParamRule[paramIndex=0, attr   More>>

I'm new here... tried posting this question this morning but must not have done it right because I can't see my question on the forum, so I'm trying again. Please excuse me if I posted this twice. I see several thousand lines of this when I start Tomcat on Windows 2000 Pro. Is this normal to see? Is there a way to tone it down a little??

45866 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.di
gester.Digester.sax - startElement(,,extension)
45866 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - Pushing body text ''
45866 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - New match='web-app/mime-mapping/extension'
45866 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - Fire begin() for CallParamRule[paramIndex=0, attributeName=null]
45866 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.sax - characters(dtd)
45876 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.sax - endElement(,,extension)
45876 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - match='web-app/mime-mapping/extension'
45876 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - bodyText='dtd'
45876 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - Fire body() for CallParamRule[paramIndex=0, attributeName=null]
45876 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - Popping body text ''
45876 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester - Fire end() for CallParamRule[paramIndex=0, attributeName=null]
45876 [main] DEBUG org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.sax - ignorableWhitespace(

<<Less

Re: Is this normal to see? Is there a way to turn this off??

Posted By:   Terry_Laurenzo  
Posted On:   Sunday, December 1, 2002 08:37 AM

The digester class that tomcat uses to process its config files output an unholy amount of debug information through log4j. I am guessing that you enabled log4j debugging for your webapps and are now seeing the internal logs for Tomcat. You have two options:

First, you can move log4j into your webapp. Since this will be loaded as part of its own classloader, it should not get the Tomcat internal stuff. If you want a global log4j config for all webapps, you can probably put the jar in shared/lib.

Second, you can disable debug logging for specific categories(or globally) that are causing you grief. To disable debug logging globablly, in your log4j config file (specified with -Dlof4j.configuration=file:log4j.properties or the log4j.properties file on the classpath), add the line

log4j.threshold=info

To disable it for a specific category:
log4j.logger.org.apache.commons.digester.Digester=info

If you are using an old version of log4j, the property names change a bit. I think that log4j.logger is changed to log4j.category and log4j.threshold is changed to log4j.priority, but I can't quite remember.

Hope this helps.

About | Sitemap | Contact