dcsimg
Do I really need JBuilder?
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Olivier_Michallat
Posted On:   Thursday, November 28, 2002 04:56 AM

Hi, We are about to start a J2EE project on BEA Weblogic 7 and plan to use JBuilder. I've used versions 5 and 6 in the past, and to be honest I'm not convinced of its advantage over a plain text-editor-and-command-line-tools solution. My major concerns are : it's very demanding on resources it adds complexity and bugs (proof : this forum) when using visual assistants people tend to understand less what they are doing and have less control I'd like to have feedback from people who have used JBuilder (7 or 8) on J2EE projects : which assistants / code generation features did you find useful? did you run into a lot of probl   More>>

Hi,

We are about to start a J2EE project on BEA Weblogic 7 and plan to use JBuilder.

I've used versions 5 and 6 in the past, and to be honest I'm not convinced of its advantage over a plain text-editor-and-command-line-tools solution.

My major concerns are :

• it's very demanding on resources

• it adds complexity and bugs (proof : this forum)

• when using visual assistants people tend to understand less what they are doing and have less control

I'd like to have feedback from people who have used JBuilder (7 or 8) on J2EE projects :

• which assistants / code generation features did you find useful?

• did you run into a lot of problems, encounter a lot of bugs?

• on the whole, did you take profit of the value-added features of Jbuilder over a plain text editor (ultraedit, textpad, jcreator...)?

(PS: I'm talking about code generation / RAD tools, not editor features like on-the-fly syntax checking or online javadoc)

Thx

<<Less

Re: Do I really need JBuilder?

Posted By:   Anonymous  
Posted On:   Friday, November 29, 2002 02:34 AM

I´m workin on a MDA-project with target BES 5.0.2. My tools are

• Rational Rose 2002
  • Interactive Objects ArcStyler 3.0 SP1
  • Jakarta Ant 1.4.1 + 1.6alpha
  • Borland JBuilder 7
  • Borland BES 5.0.2
  • Oracle RDBMS 8.1.7
  • JDK 1.3 + 1.4
  • JUnit 3.7 + 3.8.1
  • Macromedia Dreamweaver UltraDev 4.01
To be honest, I use JBuilder in that project only for editing. No wizards. Oh, sorry - one big feature: the search for @todo-Tags in Sourcecode. Maybe the JPDA-Debugger will do some work in the future.

So would say that you can do the job with other editors, too. But - how I said - use code generators with generation from UML-Model.

About | Sitemap | Contact