Wednesday, November 20, 2002 01:42 PM
I have done more work and I am fairly close but not quite there. I have documented the steps that I followed to setup TomCat and Idea 3.0 plug-in and a sample project. Unfortunately the debugger doesn't quite work :(. My documentation is as follows. Any help is quite appreciated:
I am trying to get Tomcat 4.0.6 to work with Idea 3.0 (build 676) to work using the Tomcat 4.0.6 integration shipped with the release (my machine is a Compaq laptop Evo N600c with 1 Gig RAM and plenty of hard disk space to spare off a 20 Gig disk, the operating system is Windows 2000 Professional). For some reason, the debugger never stops at the break point that I have set up. Here is how I have set-up and example project:
1. The Plugins folder under IDEA_HOME has the "tomcatintegration" folder, which, in turn, has "doc" and "lib" folders (I didn't do this the install program did this). The "docs" folder has nothing in it whereas the "lib" folder contains the "tomcatIntegration.jar.". I guess that I am using the third method of Idea's Plugins documentation which states that any jar files found in the lib folder will automatically be added to the classpath.
2. I set up a project call "apress" which is out of James Goodwill's "Apache Jakarta-Tomcat" book in chapter two. This a basic "web" app that displays a "login.jsp" and upon the user typing in the username and passwords displays a welcome message in "welcome.jsp." The project is set up in the "apress" folder which is under thee "webapps" folder. The "webapps" folder exists under "Tomcat406" folder off the root. Therefore its complete path is "C:Tomcat406webappsapress".
3. My idea is configured to use jdk 1.3.1_03 which is shipped with BEA's WebLogic version 7.0 (you can see where I am headed, ultimately, I would love to use IDEA 3.0 with BEA WebLogic 7.0, right now, I will be satisfied with Tomcat and Idea). Weblogic 7.0 is installed in the BEA folder off the root drive "C:" by default and the JDK lives in the jdk131_03 folder off the BEA folder. Therefore its complete path is "C:eajdk131_03". My project ".ipr" file, i.e. apress.ipr is stored in the apress folder (complete path is C:Tomcat406webappsapressapress.ipr"). The compiler output path is set to point to "C:Tomcat406webappsWEB-INFclasses" this is where the project package is stored.
4. My project path is set to "C:Tomcat406webappsapress".
5. My source path shows the two entries: C:Tomcat406webappsapressWEB-INFclasses and another entry as . I have not downloaded the source for the JDK therefore this entry doesn't have anything in it (I plan on doing that later once I have this basic set-up working).
6. My classpath shows the entry "C:Tomcat406webappsWEB-INFclasses" under the