Does Netscape SmartUpdate installscript get invoked when jar is invoked in Internet Explorer with Sun Java plug-in ?
0 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Ramesh_Sundararajan
Posted On:   Thursday, November 7, 2002 06:13 PM

Hi All, I have been trying to find answers for the above question but haven't really obtained any ! I have a signed .cab file for Microsoft VM (built using dubuild) and a signed .jar file for the Sun JVM (built using signtool.exe and to use SmartUpdate functionality of Netscape). The browser that my application can support is only Inernet Explorer although we have clients using different JVMs. My problem is that this signed .jar file contains the actual .jar to be distributed, the install script (javascript), and also contains the manifest files and the zigbert.rsa and zigbert.sf within it(Using a Test certificate). Now when I try to access this .jar within Internet Explorer with the Sun Java plug-in I get an error saying the class file is not found. The re   More>>

Hi All,
I have been trying to find answers for the above question but haven't really obtained any ! I have a signed .cab file for Microsoft VM (built using dubuild) and a signed .jar file for the Sun JVM (built using signtool.exe and to use SmartUpdate functionality of Netscape). The browser that my application can support is only Inernet Explorer although we have clients using different JVMs. My problem is that this signed .jar file contains the actual .jar to be distributed, the install script (javascript), and also contains the manifest files and the zigbert.rsa and zigbert.sf within it(Using a Test certificate). Now when I try to access this .jar within Internet Explorer with the Sun Java plug-in I get an error saying the class file is not found. The reason being (as I assume) that the install script does not seem to execute on the MSIE browser. Now does IE handle this install script or is it purely a function of the Netscape browser and is independent of the actual plug-in ? If yes, then does it mean that I create the JAR file as a single step process using signtool so that when the jar is referenced, it gets downloaded every time ? I have tried using the applet caching mechanisms too but Iam still testing it so Iam not sure if that will help in client-side caching ! Iam using the Java 1.3.1_02 plug-in with IE versions 5.5 and above. Thanks in advance for ur replies !!!

<<Less
About | Sitemap | Contact