Win2000 Users Cannot Install Java Plug-in
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Andy_Sun
Posted On:   Thursday, October 31, 2002 06:50 AM

The Win2000 Users group do not have the privilege to install software including Java Plug-in. This is creating a huge headache for IT, because in large organizations, most users are assigned the Users group privileges. Since different Java applications my require different Java plug-in versions, the applications usually have a install on demand setting, which is being blocked by the lack of privilege. Win2000 does not allow a separate privilege just to install plug-ins. And blanket install privilege is unacceptable to IT.

Has this problem always been there, or is it a new Microsoft secret tactic to get back at Java?

Re: Win2000 Users Cannot Install Java Plug-in

Posted By:   Christopher_Koenigsberg  
Posted On:   Thursday, October 31, 2002 07:18 AM

Maybe the IT support group should install the Java Plug-In on all the systems, as part of their base software deployment & configuration (do they use SMS, WinInstall, Ghost, etc.?) so the users don't have to do it themselves (and maybe screw it up), and so they could make sure the right version is properly installed, etc.

It is always a tension in enterprise IT support, between needing to control things to provide a safe & stable base environment for the vast majority of regular users, but also finding a way to accomodate the unusual groups of users (developers, special departments & projects etc.) who need additional things, different configurations, working environments, applications etc., beyond the majority.

I've been on both sides of the fence so I can see both sides of the arguments, trade-offs, complications, etc. (a sign of getting too old, I can't say black or white Yes or No anymore, it's all complicated coupled interconnected shades of grey...)

About | Sitemap | Contact