dcsimg
HELP ME, PLEASE !!!
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Mike_L
Posted On:   Wednesday, October 16, 2002 01:14 PM

1. I'm planning to buy a router to split my IP address into a few. My question is will I still get the same fast connection for each machine connected for this router?

2. Right now, I have 2 machines with different IPs (eg 1.1.1.2 and 1.1.1.3) connected to a cable modem. When I view my network neighbourhood, I can see both machines. If there is another machine with IP 1.1.1.4 that is connected to a different cable modem, I wouldn't be able to see it. Why is this so? How does the cable modem knows 1.1.1.2 and 1.1.1.3 is in same group and 1.1.1.4 is not? Is this because the cable modem is doing some filtering?

Re: HELP ME, PLEASE !!!

Posted By:   Adrian_K  
Posted On:   Wednesday, October 16, 2002 01:48 PM

Depending on the load that each machine will impose to the Internet connection you will notice a diference in the speed in the other machine.
A router acts like a "bridge" betwen to diferent networks. 1.1.1.2 and 1.1.1.3 are your internal IPs in your lan. Other internet users can have this same IP number in their internal LAN. The router 'translates' in some way these addresses to the external one asigned by your ISP.
About | Sitemap | Contact