dcsimg
J2ME and the PalmOS - The future, where is it going, and is it something that the industry is moving to support?
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Brandon_George
Posted On:   Sunday, October 6, 2002 05:18 PM

Yes I have some questions. I have been a developer for some years now. (An old M$ guy) and recently moved to the J2EE platform (my new job) and of course I love Java now. I ahve a die-hard Code Poet for Java! Anyway. I am staring a project at work working with J2ME. The reason why we are going with J2ME is because we are using Java as our Defacto development language/platform/framework/etc. (you get the idea) So what I wanted to know is: (1) What is the Future of J2ME related to the PalmOS? (2) Is the industry supporting and moving towards J2ME for the Palm OS? (3) Is there a compile resource list, site, etc. that is Geared towards J2ME and the PalmOS platform? thanks    More>>

Yes I have some questions.
I have been a developer for some years now. (An old M$ guy) and recently moved to the J2EE platform (my new job) and of course I love Java now. I ahve a die-hard Code Poet for Java! Anyway. I am staring a project at work working with J2ME. The reason why we are going with J2ME is because we are using Java as our Defacto development language/platform/framework/etc. (you get the idea)

So what I wanted to know is:

(1) What is the Future of J2ME related to the PalmOS?

(2) Is the industry supporting and moving towards J2ME for the Palm OS?

(3) Is there a compile resource list, site, etc. that is Geared towards J2ME and the PalmOS platform?

thanks in advance!

J. Brandon George

<<Less

Re: J2ME and the PalmOS - The future, where is it going, and is it something that the industry is moving to support?

Posted By:   javo_wabo  
Posted On:   Thursday, October 17, 2002 12:17 PM

I'm a little more wary. There are indeed tools for developing j2me for palmOS and there is more than one VM, but I don't know of any that allow much interaction between the Palm world and the J2ME world. e.g. you can't access the Palm database of addresses/calendar items via a MIDlet. From what I have read, Sun does not plan on implementing any such changes in their VM.

From the info I have, the future does not look good for these types of changes which will make MIDlets and PalmOS apps more interoperable. There are so many things that would make J2ME/PalmOS applications much more robust, but I don't hear any of the major players talking of implementing these changes. e.g. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to use PalmOS "Beam" to transfer to the J2ME side on the Palm?

Does anyone know of additional capabilities that are included or scheduled to be included in future releases of IBM's Websphere J9 VM?

Re: J2ME and the PalmOS - The future, where is it going, and is it something that the industry is moving to support?

Posted By:   Lasse_Koskela  
Posted On:   Monday, October 7, 2002 12:56 AM

1)

The future of J2ME regarding PalmOS is as clear as the future of PalmOS itself. It seems that mobile platform vendors can't afford leaving Java out of the picture.

2)

Industry (mobile operating systems industry) does support J2ME, so you could say that it applies to PalmOS too.

3)

For PalmOS related resources, I think the Palm developer site is the best source of information. Here are some other useful sites:

www.palowireless.com/java

wireless.java.sun.com

www.corej2me.com/DeveloperResources

www.j2medeveloper.com

About | Sitemap | Contact