Application Discovery (let's try again)
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   James_McLachlan
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 24, 2002 05:27 AM

OK. Since I posted my previous question, I have made a bit of progress, but I'm still confused :-) Bear in mind that I'm using the Tomcat 4.0.1 web server/servlet engine. The J2ME emulator will only "discover" .jad files in a directory that does NOT include any default "welcome pages". ie. if the directory contains index.html, index.jsp etc., then it seems that these pages are being returned to the application discovery software and it doesn't understand this. However, if I place the .jad and .jar files in a new directory, the emulator does identify the .jad file. I still have a problem because it is returning a URL that is relative to the server root and this see   More>>

OK. Since I posted my previous question, I have made a bit of progress, but I'm still confused :-)

Bear in mind that I'm using the Tomcat 4.0.1 web server/servlet engine.

The J2ME emulator will only "discover" .jad files in a directory that does NOT include any default "welcome pages". ie. if the directory contains index.html, index.jsp etc., then it seems that these pages are being returned to the application discovery software and it doesn't understand this.

However, if I place the .jad and .jar files in a new directory, the emulator does identify the .jad file.

I still have a problem because it is returning a URL that is relative to the server root and this seems to be causing problems when trying to find the .jar file.

I think I now know what the question is that I need to ask :-)

What data, and in what format, is the application discovery software expecting to find?

It seems that it probably needs a directory listing of some sort, but in what format? I created a little servlet to simply return the contents of the directory, but that didn't work.

I have also looked into the OTA.pdf document that Motorola produced that describes the way in which the Accompli 008 discovers MIDlets. I don't think that this is very good, since it seems to rely on a proprietary XML file ( ) in a proprietary directory ( /mot_download ).

Has anybody actually deployed any MIDlets on their own servers? Please could you tell me where you found the information that I'm missing?

Thanx.

Jim.

<<Less

Re: Application Discovery (let's try again)

Posted By:   Liam_Quinn  
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 24, 2002 12:41 PM

On real phones, the usual way to download a MIDlet is using the phone's WAP browser. The user can request the JAD file directly using the WAP browser, but it's usually simpler to visit a WML page that links to the JAD.

So to make OTA downloads of my MIDlets available, I created a WML page containing links to the JAD files. See http://reqwireless.com/wap for the WML that I use.

The Motorola Accompli 008 does have its own OTA method, and to accommodate that I also created an index.xml file at http://reqwireless.com/mot_download/index.xml.

About | Sitemap | Contact