Is there a replacement for ServletContext.getResourceAsStream
1 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   Shanmugam_Palaniyappan
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 24, 2002 12:21 AM

Hi All, I have an application where i need to parse an xml file. I am using tomcat 4.1.10. In the server.xml i have changed the configuration such that the war files will not be unpacked. They will be used as such. Before this i used to do a getRealPath for the xml file, create a File object and then parse it. But now since it is in a war file the getRealPath will return null. I have to use getResourceAsStream method to get the InputStream. I have problems in using this method also. To use this method i need the ServletContext.But the parsing of my xml files takes place in classes where i do not have access to ServletContext. Therefore i am forced to pass the ServletContext to the other class files. Is there a way where i can avoid this.    More>>

Hi All,

I have an application where i need to parse an xml file. I am using tomcat 4.1.10. In the server.xml i have changed the configuration such that the war files will not be unpacked. They will be used as such.

Before this i used to do a getRealPath for the xml file, create a File object and then parse it. But now since it is in a war file the getRealPath will return null. I have to use getResourceAsStream method to get the InputStream. I have problems in using this method also. To use this method i need the ServletContext.But the parsing of my xml files takes place in classes where i do not have access to ServletContext. Therefore i am forced to pass the ServletContext to the other class files. Is there a way where i can avoid this.

Thanks
Shanmugam.PL

<<Less

Re: Is there a replacement for ServletContext.getResourceAsStream

Posted By:   michael_dean  
Posted On:   Tuesday, September 24, 2002 11:07 PM

While there is a getResourceAsStream(String) method defined in the ServletContext interface, remember that servlets are not constrained to simply using classes/interfaces defined in the Servlets API--you have full access to the Java 2 API. That means that you could use the getResourceAsStream(String) method in the Class class.

So why are there two methods? The primary reason is to allow a servlet container, via its ServletContext, to provide access to resources that normally wouldn't be seen by a class loader--for example, files that are not in the CLASSPATH, database resources, or just about anything else the servlet container vendor can think of. The method provided by Class, on the other hand, only has access to resources that can be located within the CLASSPATH (minor simplification).

In your case, you are trying to load an XML file that exists within the WAR file that contains your web application. Since the WAR file is treated by the class loader like a JAR file, it's "root" directory is in the CLASSPATH. That means you just need to find a class that was loaded by an appropriate class loader (based on your description of the problem, we can pretty much assume that any of the classes you are working with will work). Then, call the getClass() method inherited from Object on an object of that class, and call the getResourceAsStream(String) method with an appropriate path to the XML file (i.e. "/WEB-INF/myxmlfile.xml").

HTH.

About | Sitemap | Contact