dcsimg
Wat exactly is the relation between JMX and SNMP?
2 posts in topic
Flat View  Flat View
TOPIC ACTIONS:

Posted By:   neal_ravindran
Posted On:   Friday, September 20, 2002 01:24 PM

In the past few months I have seen a number of job requirements asking for experience with JMX used along with SNMP(yes, the simple network management protocol). While I kinda sorta think that JMX is used for "managing" components, I don't know the exact relation between these two and I am assuming it must be to manage the network somehow.

a)Please elaborate if you would on how JMX and SNMP are related and how it compares to Tivoli.

b)Any good reading on the relation between JMX and SNMP out there?

Re: Wat exactly is the relation between JMX and SNMP?

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Monday, October 28, 2002 01:28 AM

just a last word...

When i say that there are no links between the two technologies, I mean that the two can work independantly. However, they address one universal requirement: the need to manage an application accross the network.

cheers

Re: Wat exactly is the relation between JMX and SNMP?

Posted By:   Laurent_Mihalkovic  
Posted On:   Monday, October 28, 2002 01:22 AM

hmmm....

First of all, JMX is a Java specific application architecture for allowing vendor independant management of server applications. SNMP is a platform neutral protocol for accessing management information over TCP/IP. And finally, Tivoli is a software product.

Other than existing for the same purpose, there is no relation between JMX and SNMP. However, it is entirely possible that an application exposing some JMX manageable components would also expose some information about these components via SNMP. The reason being that at this point in time, SNMP is supported by many management UIs, and that JMX is only starting to pick up momentum.

JMX is interesting as it actually offers more than a simple management protocol. It is actually an application architecture. The spec defines some interfaces, as well as some very specific software entities. It also recommends that the management capabilities be divided into components, each exposing some properties and methods. It is very natural to extend this component design to the business side of the application. A good example of the influence of JMX on the overall structure of an application is JBoss. The application server is built around its JMX core, and each of the entities exposed via the management interface is actually an independant server component loaded automatically by the JMX core. SNMP on the other hand does not provide any similar recommendations or requirements on the architecture of the managed application.

hope that helps
Laurent

About | Sitemap | Contact