Wednesday, September 18, 2002 05:59 AM
I don't know IntellijIdea, but looking over the feature list.
- Eclipse is FREE -- IntellijIdea is not
- Both Eclipse and have exelent UI's. Eclipse may have a little harder learning curve, because of a difference in programmin paradigm... But I like it.
- The editing features are similar. Eclipse does not have a native XML, HTML, JSP editor, but plugins are available and better ones are coming out.
- Code generation features are similar, although sometimes not as intuitive in Eclipse as the are in other IDE's
- I am not as familiar with some of the terms IntellijIdea uses for code refactoring, but Eclipse has some excelent code refactoring features. You can move classes between packages by drag and drop... It prompts you for code changes to all effected classes. It's search engine is instantaneous
- Search and replace features are the same
- Running and debugging are great in Eclipse (not as nice as in VAJ, but nice. Features are similar
- I really like Eclipse CVS integration. It is easy, and VERY intuitive. Merging conflicts is a snap compared to JBuilder.
- Eclipse is Really extensible... It was designed that way and more plug-ins are becoming available daily... I'm really looking forward to a good "free" UML plug-in.
- Eclipse also has full Ant and JUnit integration
- Eclipse has incremental compile... Which means as you write your class and save it... If you "break" contract with classes which reference your class, it immediately shows all occurrences where the code is broken... (Really nice for team projects. Your code is local, but it will tell you where you "broke" other peoples code before you merge it into the common repository.
- One of the neatest features of Eclipse (a carry over from VAJ) is the Scrapbook... where you can create snippetts of code and execute or debug them rather than having to write an entire routine. Then, you can cut and paste those snippets into your class... Makes for quick prototyping.
The basic thing about Eclipse is the fact that it is free
. I don't know about IntellijIdea but I really like Eclipse... I just wish our shop would adopt it rather than JBuilder.