Does JMS directly support XML?
No. The JMS specification defines five message types:
- StreamMessage - a stream of Java primitive values
- MapMessage - a set of name-value pairs
- TextMessage - a String object
- ObjectMessage - a serialzed Java object
- BytesMessage - a stream of uninterpreted bytes
You can pass XML data in the body of a text message, and, of course, you can do just about anything with an object message. Optionally, some vendors plan to support other message types. Given the rapid growth and widespread use of XML, it's likely that several vendors will offer direct XML support.
- Progress/SonicMQ - SonicMQ provides an XML message type, plus dynamic parsing of XML messages upon delivery.